if you can't make spring happen outdoors, you can make it happen in the kitchen! and my solution to the snow minnesota has been having was to make lemon bread. for some reason, lemons just make me think of spring. i think it may be because of the tartness. but generally speaking, spring always has me gravitating towards citrus fruits. so that is how i decided to make this lemon-yogurt bread/cake. it can be a nice desert, or be a little way to have a nice breakfast (for myself i have been eating it for breakfast everyday this past week!)
1- 1/2 cups of flower
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup plain yogurt
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp vanilla
zest from one large lemon
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
1. preheat the oven to 350 degrees grease a large bread pan.
2. sift the flour, salt, and baking powder and set aside.
3. in a large bowl, combine yogurt, sugar, eggs, vanilla, zest, and oil. stir.
4. slowly add in flour mixture, folding to combine.
make sure not to over mix. there should be some small lumps.
5. put cake into bread pan, and bake for 50 minutes. to ensure cake has completely baked insert a toothpick and it should come out clean.
6. while cake is baking, begun preparing the syrup. put lemon juice and sugar into a small saucepan and heat over medium heat. stir constantly until the sugar has completely dissolved. (should be clear). remove from heat.
7. once cake is baked, remove from oven and cool for 10-15 minutes.
8. using a fork, pierce the surface of the cake to make holes for the lemon syrup.
9. pour lemon syrup onto the cake.